[Ti] Microsoft standards - was :Browser Troubles

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue Nov 23 21:46:33 PST 2004

At 00:05 -0600 23/11/04, Chris Olson wrote:
>Safari is a fairly new browser undergoing constant development.
>I've found it to be not only the best, but also the best integrated
>browser for Mac OS X.  It works fine on ~99% of the sites I use or
>visit,
>What's really sad is that Safari is a standards-compliant browser,
>while we have many website developers who develop to Microsoft
>standards.  And Microsoft standards are somewhat different.  How
>does Bill Gates change a light bulb?  He doesn't  He declares
>darkness the new standard.

I use Safari (1.2.4) with 10.3.6, and I also find that for 99% plus
sites it works fine.

I find it very annoying that BANKS seem to be the least standards compliant.

The internet banking of the Saudi-British Bank (SABB.com) is very
simple and effective to use, BUT it will only work via IE on a PC.
This is one of my few "needs" for Virtual PC.

Is there a professional way we can approach these deviant
(non-standard-compliant) sites ?  Somewhere to refer them to, as to
how to correctly write and set-up a site to be standards compliant?
Rather than just sending a rude letter?  So that we can contribute to
a better web future.

If so, I can probabll;y select 5 sites that fit that category, and
will send off the appropriate information, with a demand for
compliance by a certain time, otherwise else I will send a letter  to
the press or something similar, to get them in to action....

regards,  Trevor