[Ti] PrinterSharing Mac/Windows

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Nov 28 14:11:31 PST 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 3:43 PM, Peter Schumacher wrote:

>  from a Windows XP I want to print on my HP connected via USB on my
> Titanium, X10.3.6.
>
> I've enabled printer and windows sharing. But I don't see the printer
> from the Windows box. What did I wrong?

Mac, Linux, and just about everybody except Windows, uses CUPS (Common
Unix Printing System) by default.  To print to a Mac shared printer
from Windows, do the following:

Open your Printers control panel and select the Add Printer Wizard.
Select "Network Printer".  Select "Connect to a printer on the internet
or your intranet"

Enter the URL thus: http://server:631/printers/printer

server will be the NetBIOS name of your Mac if you have names
resolution such as WINS or DNS available on your LAN; if not, replace
server with the IP address of the Mac.

printer is the Print Queue name of your printer, which you can get from
the OS X Printer Setup Utility****

Click Continue to the next pane. You will get an informative message
like "The server on which the blah blah blah printer resides does not
have the correct printer driver installed.  If you want to install on
your local printer click ok"

Windows is brain-dead, so click OK.

Select any Apple LaserWriter Postscript Printer as follows:
Select Manufacturer = Apple
Select any postscript printer, e.g. Apple Color LW 12/660 PS

Click continue.

Select Yes or No to whether you want the printer to be default and
finish.  Optional - right click the new printer and from the Printer
Properties menu, print a test page.

**** To get the Printer Queue name - open the OS X Printer Setup
Utility.  Select the printer in the list and click on Show Info.
--
Chris