[Ti] apop and Panther Mail.app

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Oct 3 07:08:37 PDT 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Justin R.Miller wrote:

> mac2, basically it sounds like the person's ISP's POP3 server is
> basically advertising that it supports APOP when in fact it sounds
> like it does not.  You can confirm this by opening Terminal, typing
> 'telnet <mail server hostname> 110' and then when it greets you,
> typing 'CAPA' to get a list of the POP3 server's capabilities.  If you
> see 'APOP' in there, then something is fishy.

If the server is RFC compliant, there shouldn't be a problem.  And I
have no idea why an ISP would run anything else.  To answer mac2's
question, there is no setting in Mail.app to "turn off" APOP.  The POP3
protocol is what it is, and Mail.app is no different than any other
client in this regard.  To verify that, mac2's friend could try a
different client (like Netscape/Mozilla), but I'm guessing the problem
will be the same.  It's possible the POP3 server is simply rejecting
connections outside the ISP's IP netblock.
--
Chris