[Ti] VPC on my Powerbook

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri Oct 8 18:44:40 PDT 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 10:25 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Creating a new PC is one way forward, as a blank disk seems to provide
> the option of booting from the Windows XP install CD.  But then I have
> to go through that long and agonizing WindowsUpdate process to update
> all the software, and downloading Acrobat Reader, and all the other
> programs and utilities that are already on the current C: drive....

Have you recently upgraded Windows XP to SP2?  That would be highly
suspect, as it would not consider the VPC additions to be "trusted"
software.

One other note, and I also have considerable experience with VPC, I
don't ever recommend running Windows in VPC to run Windows.  Only use
it as an avenue to run Windows programs that won't run on your Mac, and
for which no native replacement is available.  All the windows updates
are unnecessary, IMHO.  Your programs will run fine without them.  I
disable IE on Windows because I can browse the web just fine with
Safari on the Mac, and there's less chance of infecting my Windows
install with malware.  I don't even use networking capability in my
Windows install - it's disabled also.  Applications like Acrobat Reader
are unnecessary in your VPC Windows install because you can do that
operation (view a PDF) on your Mac and save the virtual HD space for
something else.  Windows doesn't have to run that app, or anything else
that you can do natively on your Mac.

It'll run faster, and you'll have way less problems with it just
cutting Windows down to the basic of what's needed to run your
Windows-specific app instead of trying to maintain a fully operational
Windows install.  If you need a fully operational Windows install, you
may want to consider switching platforms.
--
Chris