[Titanium] Insurance Cover for Powerbooks

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue Sep 14 08:41:27 PDT 2004

This is a non-technical but definitely not OT (off-topic) Post: it is
a reminder of the risk associated with a portable (as our Powerbooks
are), and it is also a sort of "survey", which will help List members
assess whether they are adequately covered if they should be so
unfortunate as to lose their Powerbook, and give me some sort of
"benchmark" of global insurance coverage:

(Old) List members may recall that my briefcase ( containing my $3500
Titanium-500 Powerbook ) was stolen last year, at Heathrow Airport,.
It was stolen from within my personal space.  It was sitting on top
of my luggage on my luggage trolley (cart), whgich was right on front
of me.  I only took my hand off my brief case for a few moments, to
take coins from my pocket to pay for some chocolates, at the counter
of a newsagent in the termiinal.  As I turned to pay, the briefcase
must have beeen removed by sleight of hand, and passed discreetly to
waiting people.  Neither I nor anyone saw anything happen or
movement.  Afterwards, the police explained, as above, how this is
done (every day).  It just completely disappeared as if my magic in a
few moments.....

I thought that my Swiss insurance polciy would have covered me.  But
because there was no violence involved, they classified it as a
"simple theft" (presumanbly a category that would have included "I
left it on the chair while I went to buy a coffee and when I came
back it was gone"), and will barely pay anything (maybe 25% of the
value).  If there had beeen violence involved, I would have been
covered 100%.

I am still (one year later) still 'discussing' the matter with them.

Would all List members be kind enough to Post (or write me offlist so
as not to block the Digest) what the categories of theft are (as
stated in their policies), and  what their insurance covers, and what
restrictions/caveats/get-out-clauses there are.

Specifically, if they lost a briefcase and contents - computer and
accessories - with a value of $5000, what would they receive.

I will summarise the input on my survey, for hte benefit of all list members.

Many thanks, in advance, for your helpful and valuable input.

regards,  Trevor