[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

b syrflip at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 10:47:36 PDT 2004

Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Sep 26, 2004, at 8:16 AM, Peter Krug wrote:
>
>>But how do you know for sure which subsystems were affected and
>>which programs to restart?  Or should I RTF man pages?  They always
>>seem to confuse me - sample commands explaining the variables would
>>be real helpful for me.
>
>The documentation is fairly thorough on which systems are affected
>just by reading the supporting information on Apple's website
>regarding the update.  If it's at all confusing, I'd recommend the
>reboot option until you get a better handle on BSD systems in
>general, the Darwin system in particular, and understand how the
>init system works.
>
>Perhaps this link to the ADC documentation would be helpful:
>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Tasks/ManagingStartupItems.html

Very interesting reading, going through the entire boot process. I
have a simple question, though.

I installed the 2004-08-09 security update, that was mainly involving
the png issue.

Instead of rebooting, i tried using the SystemStarter to just run
what i thought was the service involved in the update. I goofed on
that one, because CoreGraphics isn't a service. I think it just
popints to a couple of other scripts. (<--guessing on that one).
However, in thinking back I am thinking coreservicesd was probably
what i wanted to restart. Does that sound about right?

Instead, i goofed up somehow. i ran SystemStarter restart, with no
service argument. All seemed well, but in very short order i had some
invisible file eating startup drive space. I went from 3.3 GB of free
space, down to less than 330k, in several minutes. Heheh, a bit
scary, so i rebooted. I checked file sizes of all the Home
directories, as well as System, and the Libraries, and all seemed to
be sized normally. So it was a real mystery. As the apps were killed
by the reboot, i could see additional free space opening up, and it
wasn't VM, because my swap files are on an external drive...

Question is two-fold: Was coreservicesd the appropriate service to
add to the arguments,as far as the update in question was concerned,
and what might have been the cause of the mystery free space
disappearance?

thanks,
~flipper