[Ti] Please describe how you do backups?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Apr 6 01:57:04 PDT 2005

At 20:42 -0500 5/4/05, Robert Nicholson wrote:
>How do you folks do backups?
>
>Is Retrospect worth the money? I know it's network broadcasting
>doesn't work properly.
>
>But I need a solid backup solution.

Robert - this is my overview: if you have a computer, you ought to
have a backup; if you have a laptop, you must have a backup.

In (my) early days of Mac (1990...), in a Corporation, we had a
Retrospect network backup system for our desktop Macs that ran every
lunchtime.

I also had a massive ('why do you need such a big one') 128 Mb
magneto-optical drive which I used for my own backups.

Since I started travelling with a laptop (1997, the Powerbook 3400c),
then a Ti-500, now an Al-125, I have my own backup system(s).  Always
using Retrospect.

I currently use Retrospect Express 5, working through the FW400 port.

Absolutely no problems at all.  I have created (easy) scripts that
run all the backup tasks.

I have a 120 Gb 7200 rpm external LaCie HD at home, that runs an
incremental backup every night.

I have a 100 Gb 4500 rpm 2.5" Toshiba drive in an external  Mombay
case in my office, that runs an incremental backup every morning.

I also backup my key files to another partition on my internal HD
every morning and night.

I have two other Toshiba 2.5" drives, that I use in the Mombay, for
copies of my iPhoto and iTunes folders, which are quite large now.  I
update the backup copies from time to time.

 From time to time I burn a CD or more often a DVD of my key files,
and email archives.

Last time I was in Geneva, I tried to buy a large (250 Gb) LaCie
FW800 external disk for backup, but there were none available....
(all sold out).   These kinds of disks/interface do not seem to be on
the market at all here in Saudi Arabia.  USB only.  With the amount
of data I now have, the faster FW800 interface will help when I have
to recycle (make a new) backup, which I have to do when the disk is
full up.  With a bigger HD, I can also keep the previous backup.

	hth

regards,  Trevor