[Ti] Sleeve for 15" ?

Carbotron jason at kradcarbon.com
Thu Apr 7 19:04:05 PDT 2005

I have stopped production of my ti-specific hardshell cases for a month
or two as I move locations and finish testing the upgrades people
wanted, like different available finishes of carbon/kevlar or
silver(texallium), as well as a smooth black lycra covering of the
foam(harder than it sounds!). I also took the opportunity to take out a
few niggling imperfections on the mold, the last few showed them up,
and once i knew they were there I couldn't sleep right till they
weren't. i'll then be taking credit cards directly, and will price them
at 225 shipped anywhere, 195 to list members. still too much? a cheap
alternative:

There are several sleeves that work to protect from scratches and
vibration, but not much else. I have tried about a dozen, most from out
of the country, and grudgingly settled on one from japan, made by
COMSTYLE(~30 bucks). i believe it's similar to the now available in USA
zeroshock(i have a smaller zeroshock i use for PS and cables). one of
these coupled with thin and very stiff "trauma plates" (i've used
aluminum, carbon and titanium) has protected mine for over a year of
worldwide traveling and daily skateboarding and other rough bangs
reasonably well. not as good as my carbon hardshells, but the comstyle
case uses .25" (vs .5" on mine) per side of similar damped foam, which
is what does the protecting. the hard outer case or trauma plate just
distributes a point impact over as much foam area as possible. in
everyday use, i've twice dented my 1mm aluminum rear trauma plate.
whatever did that would've just wrecked my poor book. you can use 3m
spray adhesive to glue the trauma plate to the foam case, for a working
solution at about fifty bucks, but that's ug-lee. For the record, I
only used this trauma plate setup in a very tough oakley backpack,
which has it's own padding against the wearer's back, and i had a
trauma plate per side, and was genuinely careful. I didn't spend almost
a year developing this case design for nothing. i have 4 friends who've
destroyed their laptops (one was a toughbook too) in just everyday
transporting to and fro work or the machine room. i can't afford to
loose my tibook, and wanted some peace of mind everyday, so i had to
make them. they really work well, and ok, i'm done plugging. my website
has the info. suffice to say that the thin damped foam sleeves can be
made to work well if you're careful! stay away from non damped foam as
the foam doesn't absorb any of the shock, and transmits all of it and
the vibration it sees into your precious lappy.

	-Jason Economou
	Carbotron Composites
	kradcarbon.com