[Ti] [OT] multi-core chips / more speed

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Apr 10 07:26:52 PDT 2005

Question to those who know:

I see that AMD and Intel are very soon going to release multi-core
chips, Intel for the PC, whereas these products from AMD will only be
for workstations/servers, not until next year for PCs.

Perhaps none of these will be suitable (too hot too much power, is
always the explanation) for lWindoze aptops.

How does the current/future PowerPC architecture fit in to this picture?

Will there be multicore PowerPC chips, or is there a different
strategic/technology direction?

Since the G5 is still not laptop-ready, this may only be a
hypothetical question for us laptop users.
I suppose I am trying to get my head around when I will get my next
significant speed boost versus my (18 month old) Al-book.  I know of
nothing (chip-wise) round the corner....

Where can "more speed" come from ?  Is there are any likelihood of a
faster bus in these laptops if the chip is only evolving slowly, if
that will help us, speed-wise ?

My next step may be a 7200 rpm hard disk, and a RAM increase from 1Gb to 1.5Gb.
That, plus Tiger, may get me some additional speed, less spinning beachball.

regards, Trevor