[Ti] slightly OT: which apps dual-processor aware?

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Wed Apr 13 20:51:53 PDT 2005

No, I appreciate your comments about how the Mac OS facilitates using
the processors.  It was a compliment.  I will keep your description of
what happens.  Maybe I'll even use some of it at a party sometime and
watch people's eyes glaze over.

Ron Woodland

On Apr 13, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

On Apr 13, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Ronald Woodland wrote:

> Now that was an education.  The scary part is that I almost really
> understood what you were taking about.  I do a lot of 3D
> modeling/rendering, as well as video editing.

I'm sorry.  Sometimes writing software gets me into a different state
of mind and I start rambling :-)

I guess my thoughts are that almost anybody who uses Mac OS X can
benefit from using a dual processor machine.  The reason is because of
things like iMovie and iDVD which are bundled with the system, and take
full advantage of dual cpu's.  If it was Windows it's doubtful that
dual cpu's would show much advantage because the NT kernel doesn't
handle thread scheduling properly, and the application has to be
written specifically to handle its own thread scheduling.  With Mac OS
X it's "built-in" - take advantage of it.
--
Chris