[Ti] SmartReporter says my drive my fail soon?

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Sun Apr 17 22:11:18 PDT 2005

On 18/04/2005, at 2:39 PM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> So,
>
> My pb 1.67MHZ is about say 1 month old and already Smart Reporter
> predicts impending drive-failure?
>
> Just how accurate is SMARTReporter?

I believe the accepted wisdom [no quotes, just accumulated memory from
reading many posts] is that if SMART does not say your HD is about to
fail then your HD may or may not fail, but if SMART does say your HD is
about to fail then it will. As the saying goes, run don't walk to get
another HD and transfer all your data to it, but then your backup is
current so that may not be relevant.

As a side issue, you refer to your powerbook as 1.67 mhz. I did not
know Titaniums had that processor level. Have you had a processor
upgrade in your Ti? If so, how did it perform? Was it hard to do? Did
you do it yourself? I may be interested in such an upgrade, if
possible. I have a Ti 867.

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA