[Ti] Re: Safari problems and 10.3.9

Robert Weller n6ne at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 10:24:32 PDT 2005

from Macfixit.com:

Re-applying Security Update 2005-002 for launch
problems, crashes Two workarounds have been most
consistently able to solve major problems (for some
users) introduced with Safari 1.3 -- including an
inability to launch the application, persistent
crashes when accessing Java content, and more.

The first involves extracting files from the Java
1.4.2 Update 2 package and using them to replace.
Instructions for this tedious procedure can be found
in Saturday's coverage of Mac OS X 10.3.9.

The far simpler, and equally effective (in most cases)
workaround involves re-applying Security Update
2005-002, which made several significant changes to
critical Mac OS X Java components.

This workaround can also resolve issues with some
third-party Java applications, particularly some
popular file sharing applications.

Other crashes on launch -- removing SIMBL plug-ins,
clearing caches. As noted on Saturday, another cause
for Safari is an apparent flaw in the new version's
ability to handle additions to the Library/Application
Support/SIMBL/Plugins folder.

These include popular shareware utilities like
AcidSearch (note that a Mac OS X 10.3.9-compliant
version of Acid Search, 1.4, is now available) and
Pith Helmet.

Removing these items from the above folder (e.g.
acidsearch.bundle) will resolve the on-launch crashes
in most cases.

Also, as previously noted, several readers have noted
that clearing system caches with a tool like OnyX or
Panther Cache Cleaner can resolve crash-on-launch
issues. Select "Delete all caches" or a "deep" cache
clean, dependent on which tool is being used. After
deleting caches, use Apple's Disk Utility
(Applications/Utilities) to repair permissions.

Slow performance, launches solved by deleting icons
folder For most users, Safari 1.3 (included with Mac
OS X 10.3.9) provides a noticeable page rendering
speed boost.

Some users, however, are experiencing slower
performance after applying the update.

In some cases, performance problems can be solved by
deleting Icons folder located at
~/Library/Safari/Icons. Note that this procedure will
eliminate any favicons (the small logos that appear in
Safari's URL entry field for some Web sites) stored in
cache.

MacFixIt reader Rick Zerman writes:

"Safari would take 30 or so bounces to load (about 45
seconds) and then run exceedingly slow. Running top -u
in a terminal window showed that that Safari process
would be using up to 135% of the CPU (dual processor
Mac) even to load simple web pages.

"The solution was to go to /[username]/Library/Safari
folder and delete the Icons folder."

Using an older version of Safari If no conventional
workarounds prove successful for resolving Safari
issues introduced with Mac OS X 10.3.9, using an older
version of Safari (1.2.4, the most recent release
before 1.3) can restore normal operation.

Fortunately, Apple is still stocking the 1.2.4 release
of Safari on its standard download page. Log in with
your Apple ID and password to download the older
release.

Apple bookmarks put back A minor annoyance associated
with the upgrade to Safari 1.3 is the replacement of
Apple's default bookmarks that have been deleted by
the user.

MacFixIt reader TJ Ronningen writes:

"The Safari update included an 'update' to my
bookmarks. Apple decided I once again needed to have
all the bookmarks that they like. This feels like a
Microsoft thing to do in the worst sense of the word.
Very annoying to weed out the garbage they left
behind."