[Ti] Airport backup?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Wed Aug 17 17:07:51 PDT 2005

On 8/17/05 3:00 PM, "Bradley Ellis" <brad212 at mac.com> wrote:

> Hey Ondra,
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> So there's no way to connect my Airport Extreme Base station to my
> firewire ac-powered hard drive (no adaptors, etc.)?
>
> Even if I could connect, would my wireless computers "see" the hard
> drive and be able to access it wirelessly?
>
> I guess an option would be "hardwire" (via ethernet cable) a cheap
> computer to the Airport base and access the external hard drive this
> way?

What you're asking for is a Network Attached Storage which is a "server"
dedicated to providing nothing but storage. Another type of system is a
"Storage Area Network" using fiber switches connected to drive arrays
specifically made for network storage and which appear as addessable
storage.

What you've concluded is correct. You need a server of some type dedicated
to "sharing"" a storage device over the local area network.

--
Jesse

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true,
to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion." - Anon