[Ti] Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Aug 24 11:32:11 PDT 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> and are 64-bit—the last part of that is welcome news to those who
> feared the switch to Intel’s current lineup meant sliding back to
> 32-bit computing once Intel chips start showing up in Macs

Ummmm....  did you actually take a look at what's required for coding
that?  FYI the dev boxes we have support EMT64 and it's anything but
elegant.  There's only two 64-bit processors worth looking at - IBM's
PowerPC and AMD's Opteron.  Pushing 64-bit address space around where
32-bit can be used, aka Intel's solution, slows things *waaay* down.
Why do you suppose Microsoft hasn't jumped right on it?  AMD has
opened a fair challenge to Intel to show their stuff - so far Intel
is ignoring the challenge because they know AMD has done their
homework and will stomp all over them.

There's two, and only two, elegant solutions to 64-bit desktop
computing that exist today - linux running on an AMD Opteron, or Mac
OS X Tiger running on a PowerPC970.  Everybody else is in the
"wannabe" category with promises that as of yet are nothing but
vaporware.  Intel is the market leader, with a solid proven history,
in selling vaporware solutions.
--
Chris