[Ti] OFFTOPIC Powerbook MacIntel . . .

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Dec 1 06:07:44 PST 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Ian Collier wrote:

> And this is relevant precisely how to a report indicating that
> Intel's new processor performs pretty well. Specifically the report
> states "Pentium M processor looks set to provide a significant
> boost to notebook performance" and more in a similar vein.
>
> I don't quite get your point.

I'm sorry.  You would have to be familiar with Intel's history to
understand the joke.
AMD had a 233mmx processor, Intel had a 200mmx processor. Intel's
push to get the PII released on it's proprietary slot prevented them
from finding a floating point bug in the processor.

AMD had the Athlon, 50mhz faster than the PIII, at a better price.
Intel needed a fast, low priced version of the i820 chipset that used
SDRAM instead of RDRAM. They push it out the door. The Memory
Translator Hub had a flaw and 3,000,000 motherboards were recalled.

AMD was pushing 1.2 GHZ, Intel over clocked the 1 Ghz PIII to 1.13
Ghz but had to recall them a month later. This was a beautiful
example of a paper publicity launch to match AMD, because the recall
affected less than 200 customers.

With the failure of the 1.13 Ghz PIII, The Pentium 4 was pushed to
early release. The processor was available for 6 weeks before any
motherboards were released.  The delay was due to a flaw in the chipset.

Intel, hoping to steal AMD's Opteron thunder, days before the Opteron
release, produce a great new workstation chipset.  Canterwood (875) -
a high end workstation chipset along with the 3.0 Ghz 800mhz FSB
Pentium 4, and it arrived in typical Intel style - flawed. So Intel
halts shipments and recalls them.

AMD is selling 64-bit low power mobile processors and outperforming
Intel in sales of chips for personal computers.  The Pentium M
"Yonah" is pushed to early release............

Keep that class action link bookmarked.  You might want to refer to
it in a couple years.

--
Chris