WordPerfect vs, MS Word (was: Re: [Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac)

William Scammell bill at wscd.biz
Sun Dec 4 05:03:50 PST 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

>> But *don't* try doing multi-column layout in Word. Ack!
>
> Darn right! That's why I did not use it for
>
>      <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/Ch.1-SingleSided-Draft.pdf>.

Yup, PM does exactly what you need. No reason to shell out good money
for another tool.

(Heh heh... I'm gonna read that later and the other PDF link you
provided when I have some free time. I'm actually a Persian history
and linguistics buff. I've run across a bunch of that terminology
over the last 15 or so years.)

>> And if you think InDesign is expensive, don't even look at Quark.
>> <shudder>
>
> Yes, indeed. I could not afford either of them. <Sigh>.
>
> But PageMaker (on my Ti- Book running in "Classic" mode) satisfies
> my requirements, so I am not *too* depressed about my not being
> able to afford them!

I find PM is better for large books, while I prefer Quirk for short
docs or adverts. (I haven't had enough time to really start digging
into InDesign. Bad designer, No biscuit!!!)

I'm working on a pair of books right now (2,200 pp total) in PM that
you simply couldn't autoflow, index, etc. as quickly as you could in
Quark.

Use the tool that works!

William Scammell
Creative Director