WordPerfect vs, MS Word (was: Re: [Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Dec 4 13:38:06 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 2:53 PM, John Griffin wrote:

> BTW, could you not find something in Linux that would fill the gap
> so you could at least stick with PPC machines?

Not for FrameMaker.  When Adobe bought it they ported it Windows and
Mac OS (from SunOS).  When Apple released OS X, Adobe never moved it
from OS 9 -> OS X.  So the only two options to run it on modern
hardware are Windows or a Sun SPARCstation with Solaris.

Coders and engineers will eventually go to linux on PPC laptops
because we use them to write PowerPC machine code.  Workstations will
be going to Windows in our company.  Windows has gotten cheaper to
support than Mac OS because Apple keeps throwing a new curve ball
that breaks backwards compatibility every 4 or 5 years.  And every
time they do, they loose more software vendors.

We simply can't afford Apple's whims any more, and Mac OS will be
phased out in two years.
--
Chris

PGP Key:  http://astcomm.net/~chris/PGP_Public_Key/