[Ti] Re: WordPerfect vs, MS Word

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Sun Dec 4 17:54:27 PST 2005

Chris Olson wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:
>
>> Oh well. A pity, because now in doing one of the things the Mac was
>> always strong in, namely publishing, layout and typesetting, people
>> will increasingly go over to Windows machines!
>

> Not only DTP and prepress, but CAD and GIS as well.  We use GIS
> software for development of hardware.  We participated in the pilot
> program for ESRI products on Mac OS X, then finally got a letter from
> them.  Contrary to what some would like to think, processor
> architecture has had nothing to do with the Mac's declining market
> share, and switching to x86 is not going to help it.  It's all about
> the API's.
>
> Quote from the letter we got from ESRI:
> "ESRI's position on operating systems is entirely market driven. We
> will support any/all operating systems and technology for which there
> is a large market. This is because it is very expensive for us to
> port to another platform and support it over many years.

Chris....!!!!

Here you are, basically supporting what I've been saying all along
(HELLO>>>>M A R K E T  S H A R E<<<<) and when I said that you were
giving us all this nonsense about the wonderful IBM CPU for which you
would gladly have paid $7K and which is going to be the future for the
Chinese...

What gives, Chris??

Come BACK to earth! Market share is important. If Apple moves on to the
x86 and people would be able to run the Mac OS on a cheaper machine, and
peorhaps on a PC, then MORE people would be exposed to the Mac OS, and
might want it, thus creating a greater market, and hence increasing the
motivation to write programs for the Mac. Is THAT really so difficult
for anyone to comprehend??? Can you say iPod?? Think it would have been
popular with just the Mac OS availability???

Best,

Henry