[Ti] more speculation

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Dec 13 02:45:26 PST 2005

Ross Winn said:

>For the iBook the move makes complete sense NOW. For the Powerbook, if
>the industry moves toward USB2 you may see it there as well. Why?
>Because even though not as fast, it is a lot less expensive than
>firewire.
Not for the Pro customer. What about all the cams with firewire
connectors in it? Are there any cams with USB-2? Do they even work?
Pros tends to care a lot about things that actually do work.

But this question is interesting: Will Apple stop catering for Pro
customers that buy hardware (and also many Apple software licenses) for
thousands of dollars? Will Apple become for the "consumer" users only?
Personally, I don't think they can gain that much in that market and I
certainly don't see why they couldn't keep and go for several markets.

Do anyone remember Apples refusal to make 6-slot (PCI) Macs? after the
9600 and how Videoproducers hung on to them for years to come or bought
the few third party machines that had that many slots? Or added third
party extension cards.

How many are a "few people" any way? Do Apple still know what makes their
users tick and why they have been and continue to buy Macintosh?
Sometimes that doesn't seem so clear.