[Ti] more speculation

John simplymail at ururk.com
Tue Dec 13 20:59:22 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Mikael Byström wrote:

> John Pariseau said:
>
>> the availability of the PC Card has
>> enabled me to keep my laptop instead of buying a new one just for USB
>
> Aha! There's the reason. No additional expansions for new books,
> forcing
> users to buy new machines. Apple really know how to screw over their
> existing customers instead of expanding their market share.
>
> The PCMCIA slot is just too useful for the customers, that's all
> there is
> to it. We can't have that.

Right, but who said the PCMCIA card is leaving? It's in the 15" and
17" PowerBooks:

from http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, and Type I/II
PC Card slot

Until Apple releases something otherwise, I'll sit back and relax.

My point was mainly that I'm not under the impression that PCMCIA is
dead, even though it "feels" like an archaic technology. I mean, it
has fast transfer speeds*, and has a multitude of scientific and PRO
applications, along with regular applications I use it for. Granted,
many of the TiBook/AlBook users here might not use the slot, but if
you look at the market, PCMCIA peripherals exist where a FireWire or
USB dongle don't/can't exist.

John Pariseau

*I'm having trouble digging up transfer speeds for a CardBus/PCMCIA
slot. Anyone want to add?