[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 13 21:42:35 PST 2005

The theory I've heard is that it's actually an MPEG-2 licensing
issue; instead of licensing per copy of iDVD sold or distributed on a
computer (which gets especially costly with upgrades), they license
per DVD-R drive sold, since iDVD won't write to anything else.  At a
royalty of $4 a pop before 2002 and $2.50 since, that could add up to
some pretty serious dinero.

And, unlike the MPEG-4 licensing fees where there's an annual cap, I
don't believe MPEG-2 producers have this safety net.  For MPEG-4
encoding and decoding, Apple pays a flat $2 million per year; they
hit the cap (25 cents per encoder, 25 cents per decoder) in well
under a month just from the free QuickTime downloads online.