[Ti] Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 13 22:31:35 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 11:58 PM, themacuser wrote:

> Yep, I've heard that one too. I'd say it's true.

But it's not.  If it were true, then LaCie would have to have an
MPEG-2 license for every DVD burner sold, and it would still be legal
anyway regardless of whether or not you used iDVD to burn the disc
because LaCie would have to pay the royalty.  But that's not the way
it works.   A DVD burner doesn't have a hardware MPEG-2 encoder in
it, so no license is necessary to sell it.  The MPEG-2 license is for
an encoder/decoder, and on a computer that's done in software.
--
Chris