[Ti] Apple's non-support for 3rd party DVD-R drives

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 07:46:13 PST 2005

I renamed from the thread: Re: Dual Layer cable for Powerbook G4 400

anyhow, Chris Olson <chris.olson at astcomm.net> wrote:
>Exactly.  So LaCie doesn't need a license to sell a DVD burner.
>Neither does Apple.  However, Apple needs an MPEG-2 license to
>distribute iDVD which has the encoder in it.  Apple selling iDVD and
>the SuperDrive as one product is the lock-in I so despise.  It's
>perfectly legal to use iDVD with another drive.  Apple purposely
>crippled it so it won't work to force people to buy their drives.

I'm thinking Apple doesn't support 'other' drives because then they would
have to _support_ other drives. Which, logically enough (IMHO), Apple
_shouldn't_ have to do. This crap has enough potential pitfalls without
adding in any number of 3rd party hardware complications. It's only
Apple's excellent SW/HW integration that allows it to work as seamlessly
as it (usually) does.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700