[Ti] help with 10.4

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Dec 14 10:48:20 PST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Mark Swanson wrote:

> Thanks for the info but I am a little perplexed with terminal.  If
> it isn't too much trouble could you instruct me on how and what
> commands I need to use.

It sounds like you got it working again.  If not, email me offlist or
I can call you on the telephone and possibly help out.

> What is System Starter?

SystemStarter (one word) is the Darwin services init system.  It
doesn't load kernel extensions and low-level BSD subsystem services
like /etc/rc does with its BSD-style init, but it loads and starts
things like Apache (Personal Web Sharing), NTP, AppleShare, etc..  If
you look in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems
you'll see the things that SystemStarter starts at boot time.

SystemStarter is unique to Darwin (the core of OS X), as in
traditional BSD Unix systems SystemStarter's services are started
with /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d shell scripts.  It was written
by a Darwin developer named Fred Sánchez as an eventual escape from
entrenched Unix and a more robust Unix startup environment.

--
Chris