[Ti] My Mac is going slower

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Fri Feb 4 08:57:24 PST 2005

> My Quicksilver, 933 mz, 768 Ram and OS 10.3.7 has become maddenly slow.
> Boot up to desktop takes minutes and fetching mail through my cable
> modem is agonizing.  Everything seems to be slower since 10.3.7, even
> launching applications.
>
> I've run fsck, disk repair, cocktail and disk warrior and found nothing
> errant.  I've reset the cable modem and air port extreme.  Nothing
> seems to help  Any suggestions?

A) Try reinstalling 10.3.7 from the combo updater.

B) There were a few files to delete to speed things up as per the macfixit
site. These files sped up startup considerably.

Here is the data for an applescript to remove the files:

 property systemList : {¬
 "com.apple.ATS.System.fcache", ¬
 "com.apple.ATSServer.FODB_System", ¬
 "fontTablesAnnex"}
 property localList : {¬
 "501:Classic.fcache", ¬
 "501:Local.fcache", ¬
 "User.fcache", ¬
 "Classic.fodb", ¬
 "Local.fodb", ¬
 "User.fodb", ¬
 "FondResourceCache"}
 tell application "Finder"
 set versionFinder to version as text
 end tell
 if versionFinder starts with "10.3" then
 set localCaches to ((path to "cusr") as text) &
"Library:Caches:com.apple.ATS:"
 set systemCaches to ((path to "boot") as text) & "System:Library:Caches:"
 tell application "Finder"
 repeat with name in localList
 try
 delete file (localCaches & name)
 end try
 end repeat
 repeat with name in systemList
 try
 delete file (systemCaches & name)
 end try
 end repeat
 end tell
 end if

--------

Hope this helps.

John

--
 One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
 One OS to bring them all and in anti-competitive practices bind them.