[Ti] video ram

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 8 17:34:53 PST 2005

Thor, there is no such thing as resetting VRAM.  You can reset the PMU
(Power Management Unit, which is in control of all sorts of crazy
little things besides just turning on and off your computer - it's
quite literally a miniature computer inside your computer, and can
crash separately from your computer), and you can reset open firmware.
Lisbeth described the way to do open firmware.  To reset the PMU, first
shut down your computer.  There is a little button on the Titanium
PowerBooks to press, while on the Aluminum PowerBooks you use a key
combo.  Except for the most recent 1.5/1.67 GHz models, press
Shift-Control-Option-Power.  The newest models require you to remove AC
and battery, then hold down the power button for 5 seconds.  In the
early Ti models, the button is on the back between the external video
and the modem ports.  In the later TI models, the button is under the
keyboard, near the power button.

More details (including some photos) are here:

VRAM, or Video RAM, loses its entire contents each time you reboot or
shut down your computer.  For this reason, there is no such thing as
"resetting" it.  NVRAM, or Non-Volatile RAM, is designed to hold its
contents even if the computer has no power for a long period of time.
If it gets corrupted, it is sometimes necessary to reset it, as
documented.

HTH,