[Ti] Intermittent sound from 667 DVI

Rod lavo at mac.com
Mon Feb 28 16:28:37 PST 2005

Hi All!

This is my first post to the list, so be gentle :-)

Just wondering if anyone else gets this problem.  I have a TiBook 667 DVI
running 10.3.8 and 9.2.2.  The sound seems pretty low, where the half way
point of the sound volume is actually silent.  Then sometimes when the
Powerbook goes to sleep or I install something that affects the system (or
even run YASU), the sound becomes loud but very distorted.  It also cuts out
after a second of distortion.  When I reboot, the chime is perfect (every
time).  In OS 9, I have only encountered the problem once, which rectified
itself after playing a dvd.

I have clean installed OS X, wiped the drive and reinstalled everything,
wiped the drive and installed just 10.3, wiped the drive and reinstalled
from the original software restore cds (10.1.4 and 9.2.2).  I have the same
problem in 10.1.4, 10.3, 10.3.7 and 10.3.8.

Is this a common problem, or do I have the beginnings of a failing logic
board?  I have also tried a Open Firmware reset, PRAM zap and a PMU reset.
The sound seems to come back if it is left asleep for a long period of time,
or I run something like Diskwarrior.

Any ideas?

Seeya

Rod!