[Ti] Show Hard drive when sharing with windows OT

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Jan 4 21:20:03 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> Mac OS X Hint of week:
> For advanced configuration of Samba, use SWAT (Samba Web
> Administration Tool).

There's a caveat to this little hint.  Apple broke SWAT in the latest
incarnations of Panther as I've come to find out.  I got a couple
emails already telling me it don't work.  Went to my PowerMac G5 to
check it out, which has never had SWAT enabled on it, and by ding golly
gee it don't work.

So I did a little poking around to see what Apple broke this time, and
here's how to fix it (in addition to my initial instructions):
Open a Terminal window and either type or drag n drop this command in
it:
cp /etc/xinetd.conf ~/Desktop

Open the file with TextEdit and append the following to it:

  service swat
  {
  port = 901
  socket_type = stream
  wait = no
  only_from = localhost
  user = root
  server = /usr/sbin/swat
  server_args = -a
  log_on_failure += USERID
  groups = yes
  disable = no
  }

Save the file and drag n drop this command into the Terminal window:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/xinetd.conf /etc/

Drag n drop this command into Terminal:
ps -ax | grep xinetd

You'll see the xinetd process running there, it'll have a PID (Process
ID) number, and you have to kill it.  To kill it type in:
kill -9 whatever the pid number is

Then drag n drop this command into Terminal, which will restart xinetd.
  Alternatively, you can reboot the box:
xinetd with /usr/sbin/xinetd -inetd_compat -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid

Now you'll be able to log in to Samba at http://127.0.0.1:901 from
localhost only without need to authenticate.

As shown in my nifty little screenshot here:
http://astcomm.net/~chris.olson/temp/Samba.jpg
you click on the Shares button to create a new network share.  The guy
who started this thread wanted to be able to share all the files on the
hard disk instead of just home directories.  So you have to create the
Shares.  You create one called 'root' (or whatever you want to call
it).  This will bring up another dialog with all the options you can
set for that share (like who can access it, etc.).  For the path on
this share you use a single forward slash ( / ) which is the Unix
symbol for root.  Just like magic, you'll be able to share all the
files on the system with that root share.

I don't think this is all that secure myself, but then like 90% of the
computing populace runs Windows which has a lot more swiss cheese holes
in it than this, so use at your own risk.
--
Chris