[Ti] TiBook new internal HD problem

Greg Cramer optionsms at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 13 15:12:26 PST 2005

I recently purchased a new internal 40GB HD to replace the original 20GB for my 3-year old 550 MHz TiBook.

In the past I've added an Airport card and additional memory, so I have some experience with opening this computer (and I have made additions/modifications to other machines in the past -- going back to a II (Apple, not Mac) -- and just added a combo drive to my desktop).

I re-read my TiBook manual (kept the pdf pages displayed on my desktop) and watched OWC's video (they sold me the drive).  I don't see anything I did wrong -- although it took me close to an hour to make the change (they both slide over the job of indicating how to handle the rubber grommet spacers).

The computer does not recognize this drive (originally when unformatted or now as formatted from my desktop).  I have booted from a 10.3.3 install disc and from my TechToolPro 4.0.3 disc.  There are no other problems I am aware of.  Both the original drive and the replacement are seen when installed in a new FW shell, so I know they work (the original is currently connected to my desktop G4 QuickSilver); but neither is now recognized internally by my TiBook.

Any thoughts?

I notice pbfixit has a HD bracket replacement kit (Mylar/plastic, screws, connector ribbon) for about $15.  I'm inclined to buy this in the hopes that somehow I just screwed up the connecting ribbon.

I also have noticed used/refurbished versions of my TiBook for under $900.

Thanks.

Greg Cramer

--
"Government has never been the answer unless it's a really screwball question." -- Daniel J Mitchell, senior fellow, The Heritage Foundation