[Ti] G4/400 Freezing Constantly: MORE

Brad Ellis brad212 at mac.com
Wed Jul 6 19:31:40 PDT 2005

Tristan Cunningham wrote:

>     Brad: Is that underneath the hard drive?
>
>     Do you (or anyone else) think that any other cable inside the
>     computer could cause the same problem, while I'm inside the thing
>     rooting around?
>

>     On 7/6/05, *Brad Ellis* <brad212 at mac.com <mailto:brad212 at mac.com>
>     > wrote:
>
>         Tristan Cunningham wrote:
>
>> Just to add another frustrating detail to the problem: earlier I
>> turned it on, let it boot, and did NOTHING - just let Finder sit
>> there.  It must've been on for 10 minutes before I realized
>         that the
>> screensaver hadn't even started...move the trackpad, NOTHING.
>>
>> So here we have a computer that boots nothing but the
>         operating system
>> freezing consistently.  I wanted to isolate a program
>         installed that
>> would cause the system's instability, but this adds a whole new
>> dimension to the problem...it's freezing for no reason, with no
>> intervention.

>>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and
>         random stuff:
>>
>         Hey Tristan,
>
>         I had that problem a while back.  Beneath the track pad, the
>         cable that
>         connects the track pad to the logic board can get pinched by
>         the metal
>         frame and cause that "freeze."  If you take off the bottom,
>         you can see
>         that cable.  If you place a piece of Scotch tape on that cable
>         (where
>         it's rubbing on the metal frame), that should fix your
>         "freeze" problem
>         (at least it did for me).
>
>         Sincerely,
>         Brad

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

Hey Tristan,

Yes, it has been a while, but as I recall this cable is underneath the
hard drive.  The  cable is supposed to run NEXT to a support stud that
comes off the metal frame, but this cable is prone to slipping over this
"stud."  Once the cable is between the "stud" and the top plate of the
chassis that houses the keyboard, etc. pressure on this top plate near
the track pad can "crush" the track pad cable between this "stud" and
top chassis plate.  I guess this "crush" can cause a short that causes
this "freeze."  Worst case, this cable could sever and I think that's a
big deal, but if your computer works occasionally, then I would bet that
this cable is just getting shorted out as described.

Best of luck.  It's a great machine when it works.

Sincerely,
Brad