[Ti] G4/400 Freezing Constantly: MORE

Brad Ellis brad212 at mac.com
Wed Jul 6 19:44:30 PDT 2005

Kynan Shook wrote:

> Tristan Cunningham <triscunn at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I ran MemtestOSX on the 256MB module and it reported no problems --  how
>> accurate is this check (hopefully more so than the Disk Check
>> utility that
>> comes with OS X?)? Is it safe to assume that memory is not the
>> culprit if
>> this program does not find issues with it?
>

> No.  I'd give any software memory test maybe a 5% chance at best of
> detecting bad RAM.  The kind of defects that a software test can find
> are so obvious that the manufacturer never should have shipped the
> RAM in the first place.  The Apple Authorized Service Provider I used
> to work for invested about $5,000 in a small hardware box designed
> solely for the purpose of testing memory, and even that only had
> maybe a 75% chance of catching bad RAM.  There are so many variables
> involved that the only real way to test for it with good certainty is
> to remove the stick of RAM and see if bad things stop happening.  In
> your case, I'd recommend also reformatting (or bare minimum, running
> DiskWarrior after pulling the RAM), because I wouldn't be surprised
> if your directory is corrupted too.
>
> One of the other good "tests" I have: who manufactured the chips on
> the memory module, and who manufactured the module?  If the chips are
> not labeled with a manufacturer or they are covered somehow, don't
> trust the memory.  There are also a wide variety of module and chip
> manufacturers that I wouldn't trust, even if they do label their
> product.  The best quality out there is Samsung.  I think I'd
> probably give #2 to Micron, often sold under the Crucial brand name,
> but only if they actually use Micron chips (labeled with an MT logo
> somewhere).

Tristan,

If it turns out it's a RAM problem, if you're interested, I've got a
couple of Apple original 256 mb RAM cards I'll give you (if you'll pay
for shipping).  I replaced these cards with a couple 512 cards to max
out my RAM a couple years ago -  these old cards are just collecting
dust..  Let me know.

Sincerely,
Brad