[Ti] Re: IBM introduces new PowerPC processors

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 21:54:47 PDT 2005

T.L. Miller wrote:

>Apple has never been in the commodity computer business

ever heard of the Mac Mini?

>- that premium
>we pay finances OS development etc. The Mac OS will be designed to only
>run on Mactels and only a few people will go to the trouble to defeat
>this set-up.

I beg to differ. I run a ton of apps that are either Alti-vec
oriented or G4/G5 taegeted (as in specifically optimized for...)

If Lenovo (that IBM still has a controlling interest in) pops up a
dual-core PowerPC-equipped laptop (the ThinkPad, in other words,
which is a great laptop), and anyone comes up with a way to run Mac
software (the apps, not necessarily the OS) on it, I'm 'in'. My
'roadmap' is a new laptop in another two years... plenty of time for
IBM to get it right (er, 'righter' than the rest).

I'm trying, woithout luck, to get my hands on a somewhat
comprehensive list of the Mac applications that are, indeed, geared
towards the G4/G5 processor, and/or are containing major code that is
Alti-Vec optimized. Anybody seen such a list or have an idea where to
begin a search?

Apple does charge a premium for their hardware, and the old
justification is that it affords them the ability to spend bucks on
OS development.

Well, for starters, they could have gotten OS X out the door three
years earlier if they'd simply ported NeXTSTEP to the platform,
without the crazy HFS+ filing system (which creates ridiculous wear
and tear on hardware), with all the recursive node 'hops' (back and
forth as many as 19 times, compared the Unix file systems 1) to do
simple searches for a file. Silly.

The Finder is a bloated 'loser'. The resource forks (not to mention
an unlimited number of 'additional, invisible, and isolating, forks
that developers are encouraged to create) aren't even 'visible' to
the bloody Finder, itself.

They include a "Windows compatible" file transmission 'feature' in
Mail.app that is a misnomer. The problem isn't 'about' Windows, it's
about the fact that the Mac' screwy, proprietary file system is
totally isolated (from all other operating systems including its own
unix-like one) in the whole world. But they try to put a 'spin' ion
it, as if they're 'stooping' to allow poor old windows users to keep
up. yeah, sure.

Apple is a handheld appliance and 'content provider' (going forward)
that 'also makes computers' in China. Period.

The whole spin on the Mac/Intel deal had people looking at IBM's
'roadmap' vs. Intel's 'roadmap'. When, in fact, the issue should be:
Just what the hell is Apple's 'roadmap'? Going back to 32-bit,
ditching Alti-vec, and 'allowing' folks to run "Mac native" apps in a
'simulator' (Rosetta) with a 20% hit in speed??? Doees that sound
like a 'roadmap'? Whatever, it's a U-Turn, regardless of the 'spin'.

The bought NeXT, NeXT owns Objective-C, and they turn around and
dilute it with the legacy crap, and it ends up being an almost
criminal waste of technology. And this from the 'think Different'
guys and their 'cross-platform pretensions? Give me a break.

You can see the fear in Microsoft.. funny how the more IBM pushed
their own superior tech, with Linux onboard, coincided with MS's
continual pushing-back of the more-and-more 'pruned' Longhorn
release. If Big Blue  can do that with an 600-lb gorilla like MS
('payback, anyone?), dealing with Apple's arrogant short-sigtedness
(on a tech vs. tech basis) will be hilarious.

I feel sorry for the NeXT engineers that followed Jobs back to Apple.
Seeing what the 'higher ups' (you know the micro-managing Cult of
Personality) has done to NeXTSTEP must be devastating to any
principled engineer. Sad stuff.

~flipper