[Ti] Re: IBM introduces new PowerPC processors

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Jul 10 05:28:21 PDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Henry Kalir wrote:

> Oh yeah? The Chinese need it cheap, huh??? CHEAP, Chris!!! Yet you
> said recently that it didn't matter to you if a 970-based Mac cost
> $7K. I can fish out your words, if you need a refresher.

I don't need a refresher, nor am I Chinese.  I also have a $27,000 SGI
Tezro.  I doubt many of those exist in China.  You buy a machine to do
a job.  Cost is immaterial in high-end computing when nothing else can
do the job.

I said I want Apple to continue to offer PowerPC-based PowerMacs, and I
don't care if they cost $7,000 as long as they're available after Apple
switches the rest of the sheep-like Mac using masses to Intel
processors.  The reason is because OS X is only licensed to run on
Apple hardware, and I have a lot invested in OS X software.  And I have
a vested interest in the PowerPC platform.  Apple has been the perfect
marriage.  But they're going to loose a customer.  IBM has cheap boxes
with PowerPC processors (that are more powerful and cost less than an
Xserve BTW).  The Chinese will buy those, especially when they're built
by Lenovo.

The PowerBook line is a gonner.  I'll be switching to a ThinkPad as
soon as they're available with PowerPC processors.  You can mark my
words - they will be available with PowerPC after Apple makes the
"switch".  I'm already starting the migration to linux-based software -
I installed PowerPC Debian in my PowerBook a couple weeks ago and am
dual-booting it.  By the time Apple makes the switch I'll be ready to
switch from OS X to Linux so I'm no longer tied to Apple hardware.

Like Brian said - Apple has no "roadmap".  They're pulling an
about-face on this one.  I feel sorry for all the Mac users who think
that a switch to Intel processors is going to mean more apps.  FYI, the
API's haven't changed with the switch to Intel, only the compiler.
There's going to be LESS apps on Intel for the Mac because I guarantee
you beyond any doubt that there's some PowerPC apps that won't be
making the transition - especially high-end apps used in science and
engineering that have been heavily optimized for PowerPC vector
computing.  And porting an existing Windows app to Mac on Intel is just
as much work as porting it to Mac on PowerPC.

One thing that's become painfully clear is that Apple has done a superb
job of brainwashing its users.  It appears that if Steve Jobs said they
were going to switch from PowerPC to dual gerbils running in a cage,
Mac users would do an about-face en masse, and proclaim dual gerbil
powered Macs to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
--
Chris