[Ti] Re: IBM introduces new PowerPC processors

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 07:49:32 PDT 2005

Justin R. Miller wrote:

>Is it me or is this thread off-topic again?

Well, it's off-topic IF you own a nice Ti-Book, and don't care about
the future of your investment in software... that a shoe that fits?

I don't knoiw about everybody else, but, i'm from the old school.

let me explain, in case there's young folks out there.

You have goals, or projects, in mind. You figure out the software
that will be needed, and THEN you buy the hardware that runs the
software. In that order.

  A lot of Windows 'fans' like to imagine that Mac buyers are buying
based on 'style', or 'design'... Maybe Apple is 'banking' on that
too, I don't know, since i don't read minds all that well, and the
'signals' from Apple are 'mixed', at best.

I bought my 667 Titanium, switching from desktops, at first, to be
able to run a big audio analyzer (fast fourrier transforms-based)
anywhere: home, studio, Wembley, etc.

Although my main box is now an Aluminum 'book', I still have the Ti,
and it can still run somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 thousand US
dollars worth of audio and film editing apps. So I DO have a vested
interest in the future of the platform, and it IS relevant to my
current machine, AND my emergency backup Ti.

My last Cleaner upgrade (from my buddies at Discreet Logic), ran me
$179 US... so what happens when the next update is as much, but
either runs better on a platform I don't currently use, OR takes a
20% hit in speed to run 'Native"?

Don't waste time guessing, i'll tell you: I call richard at discreet,
and swap to Linux (unless there's an OPENSTEP version) for a PowerPC
ThinkPad. And for an old guy like me, that bought his first computer
9with a buddy) at the Byte shop in mountain View (w-a-a-ay back
when)... that is a sad proposition. Mind you, if IBM, or anyone else,
had a 'real' working GNUStep, i'd already be there.. but that's
another Titanium 'story'.

brian s