[Ti] Re: IBM introduces new PowerPC processors

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 08:06:59 PDT 2005

T.L. Miller wrote:

>  >Well, for starters, they could have gotten OS X out the door three
>>years earlier if they'd simply ported NeXTSTEP to the platform,
>>without the crazy HFS+ filing system (which creates ridiculous wear
>>and tear on hardware), with all the recursive node 'hops' (back and
>>forth as many as 19 times, compared the Unix file systems 1) to do
>>simple searches for a file. Silly.
>
>Huh? Maybe they could have gotten an OS out the door much sooner, but it
>would have been so alien to the typical Mac customer that it would have
>been disastrous! As it was, the earlier versions of OS X were
>sufficiently different from OS 9 that there was a major uproar.

Ha ha ha, development on GNOME and KDE would have stopped if Apple
had the first 'real' user-friendly Unix out there in time. Who do you
think has been 'switching' to Apple gear these last few years?
Windows users? Guess again.

Linux is fragmented ( to many semi-incompatible libs/distros) and
looks awful, unless you grew up on Windows 9x and NT. If Apple really
wants to have it 'both ways', they could just as easily have
continued a separate OS 9 style MacOS, for the diehards, and the
developers who want a slice of that yummy 2% market share, and ported
NeXTSTEP straight/no-chaser to higher-end Apple boxes.

They'd be laughing right now and they's have had an extra $6 Billion
or so to further their "we're gonna be Sony' 'roadmap'.

If mr jobs had decency as well as marketing 'brains' he'd license NS
and Objective-C to someone with some hardcore computing savvy, and
carry on with the 'lowest common denominator approach' to software
and who and what it's 'for', as he is doing now. He'd have more
money, the Maccies would have their schizo 'marriage' of NeXT and
Legacy/HFS+ OS (aka MacOS), and the world would have an open spec,
killer operating system, in wide use, that would rein in MS, and the
other purveyors of crap.

Not sure what you consider 'the typical Mac user' to be. My scientist
buddy at NASA Ames? All those folks with XServe 'farms' doing special
effects? The publishing industry? (you know, 'content providers'), or
Aunt Bea and her AOL account? If you mean Aunt Bea, well... God Bless
her, but i'd rather not have her 'objectives' driving the direction
of MY platform, if it's all the same to you.

brian s