[Ti] recommendations? power cord for 15" 1.5GHz Powerbook

Roger Snyder rogersnyder at pobox.com
Tue Jul 12 11:33:50 PDT 2005

On 7/12/05 10:47, "~flipper" wrote:

> Timothy Luoma wrote:
>
>> My Powerbook cord has a kink in it which went through the
>> rubber/plastic insulation and is showing the wires inside :-/
>>
>> Apple wants $71 for a replacement (Extra Portable Power Adapter -
>> 65W for iBook & PowerBook), are there cheaper options which are just
>> as good or better?
>
> A guy at ork has one of these and really likes it, it's just for the
> Ti, i think:
>
> <http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/APLN2M/>

    There are several around, both for the TI and universal one. MacAlley
etc. Goggle <G4 powerbook power adapter>.

    I just ordered the one above. Not the cheapest ($50), but it is supposed
to have much stronger cords that Apple's. I've MacAlly's for as little as
$30, but it is lower power 40W vs. 60-65 (which means longer charging time
for newer books, and possibly only charging while asleep for some models).

    I finally got tired of soldering and resoldering the plugs on my two
Apple adapters (I got one covered replacement in the first year). And
recently the plug pulled apart and sent a surge through the machine that
turned it off.

    Luckily, the only damage I have seen is that the "caps lock" key led is
permanently on. :) Go figure. (I have a feeling that this happened once
before and I fixed it in software, but I'll be darned if I can remember how
(or if it just my computer affected brain making that up).

    So I figured it was time to get a new one. I've built a number of
adapters over the years, but though my TI is getting a bit worn over the
years, I've been reluctant to team it with a home brew. Snobbish I guess. :)

-- Roger