[Ti] FW 800 for 800 MHz. TiG4?

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:59:40 PDT 2005

FWPHOTO wrote:

>If I used a PCMCIA FW 800 card & a FW 800 HD, would I get faster data
>transfer than just the FW 400 that's built-in? Is my PB even capable
>of transferring data at the speed of FW 800?

Yes you will get a much faster transfer, better reads and writes. i
did the same thing on the 667. An orange Micro 800 firewire card with
two ports and its own power supply. Very nifty.

The bottleneck on the older powerbooks is on the board, where the
Firewire ports are hardwired to. The PC bus doesn't have the same
problem, all it needs is something to 'translate' the data flow (in
whatever format) to it.

And that is exactly what the PCMCIA cards do.

My 800 drive is easily double the internal as far as read/writes.
(The faster revs - 7200 - on the external aren't 'the story', they
contribute to 'access' time, the faster shuttling of the data is due
to the firewire tech)

brian s