[Ti] Russian keyboard ?

Kurt Z. sliving-lists at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 01:07:59 PDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 8:35 PM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> A friend of mine (American, Russian speaking) is interested in
> switching to Mac (mainly because his PC is almost paralysed by
> spyware when he is on-line in Kiev).
>
> He really wants a (15.2" Powerbook, with a) US keyboard with
> Russian characters on it.
>
> I called the Swiss Apple store today and they said there is no
> keyboard with Russian characters...
>
> This is a bit surprising to me.  Can it really be true?

Hi

Yes, that's correct. Apple doesn't support Russian very well - of course you
can write and read Russian - but the OS is not localized in spite of the
fact, that the user base is relative high in Russia. But Apple could sell
more Macs and Powerbooks in Russia, because many wealthy Russians do not
understand foreign languages and for them it's impossible to use Macs.

Petitions to localize the OS were not stated by Apple. And the homepage
"apple.ru" is driven by the Russian distributor and not by Apple.

To your keyboard-problem:
In Russia - and I am sure the same is valid for Ukraine - you can buy
adhesive labels ($ 1 to $ 2) and add them to the keys yourself. It's not a
bad solution and all do this, when they use double-languages keyboards.

Hope to helped you

Kurt Z.