[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Dale Gardner drgardner at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 15:17:56 PDT 2005

It's feeling a bit chilly - excerpted from the Wall Street Journal:

Apple Eyes Shifting
  Macintosh Line
  To Intel Chips

By DON CLARK and NICK WINGFIELD
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
June 4, 2005 5:04 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple Computer Inc. is expected to announce Monday
that it will begin shifting its Macintosh computer line next year to
Intel Corp. chips, people familiar with the situation said.

The move is a major change in strategy by Apple, a high-profile win for
Intel, and a potential blow to International Business Machines Corp.
and Freescale Semiconductor Inc., suppliers of the PowerPC chips that
Apple has long used in its Macintosh systems.

Apple's decision, which comes after years of industry speculation and
behind-the-scenes lobbying by Intel, could cause disruptions for users
of the Macintosh. Among other things, application programs will have to
be adapted to run on Intel's x86 chips, the calculating engines used in
most personal computers that run Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating
system.

Steve Jobs, Apple's chief-executive and co-founder, is expected to
explain the shift Monday during a keynote speech to attendees at the
company's annual conference for software developers in San Francisco,
the people familiar with the situation said.

The Wall Street Journal reported on May 23 that the companies were in
talks that could lead to Apple adopting Intel microprocessors. The
article reported that two industry executives with knowledge of recent
discussions between the companies said Apple will agree to use Intel
chips, and indicated that the announcement could come as soon at the
Monday, June 6 conference.

CNET on Friday reported that Apple would announce the transition plan
June 6. It reported that Apple would move lower-end computers such as
the Mac Mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as
the Power Mac in mid-2007. An industry executive familiar with the
matter, contacted Saturday, verified that schedule.

Spokesmen for Apple, Intel, IBM and Freescale said their companies had
no comment. At a recent technology conference hosted by the Wall Street
Journal, Mr. Otellini described the idea of supplying microprocessors
to Apple as "the Haley's comet of rumors," because of its frequent
recurrence over the years.
On Jun 4, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

>         Steve Jobs is switching the Macintosh to Intel hardware,
>         with an announcement due Monday in the WWDC 2005 keynote
>
> I can hardly believe what I am reading.
> Does anyone have any confirmation that such an incredible transition
> is going to occur?
>
> regards,  Trevor
- --
Dale Gardner