[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Paul H. Yoshimune paul at yoshimune.com
Mon Jun 6 11:06:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:42:51PM -0500, Chris Olson wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Chris Olson wrote:
>
> >For anybody who really thinks Apple will use Intel x86 processors to
> >run OS X, I have some prime Lunar real estate on the dark side of the
> >moon I would like to sell, and you can call me to make an immediate
> >purchase.
>
> Looks like my Lunar real estate deal just dried up.  Jobs announced a
> switch to Intel processors starting in 2006, and the keynote is being
> done on an Intel-powered Mac.  They're going to use "fat" binaries to
> support both platforms for "a long time to come".
>
> Not sure what'll be required to port current PowerPC apps.
>
> So much for my new WiMax PowerBook :-(

Ugh.  I hope Apple manages to keep the hardware platform "closed", such that
MacOS only runs on their certified machines.  The whole reason I like Apple
(and Sun, for that matter) is that they write the OS and make the hardware - no
need to worry about why things don't work on a Dell POS-30, much less a
whitebox homebrew setup than someone cobbled together for $85.99.  Things just
work.  If they hope to have MacOS/x86 run on any old Intel box, it's going to
be *really* ugly...
--
Paul H. Yoshimune
paul at yoshimune.com