[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Mike Bigley bigley at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 07:33:58 PDT 2005

>However, I see no reason to not buy a Mac right now.  While Apple is
>making it very easy for developers to leverage OS technologies like
>Core Data and Core Image that would require 10.4, they are making it
>very difficult to justify producing anything but a "Universal
>Binary."  All it really takes in many cases is to check a box in
>Xcode and recompile your project.  I am at WWDC right now, and have
>in fact already produced a Universal Binary, which includes
>Intel-native code.  It took me 5 minutes,

I think this is actually a great time to buy a Mac.  The big software
developers (Adobe, Microsoft) have already announced that they will
continue to support PPC and Intel -- and why wouldn't they? With
millions of PPC computers out there it would be financially
disastrous for them to quit developing for PPC in 2007.  As long as
you are paying for your software upgrades, then you are extending the
"shelf life" of your PPC.

I have a Quadra 700 running OS7 and a copy of Painter and Photoshop.
No one is supporting it, but if I choose to use it I can.  The point
is, that by the time developers quit supporting PPC is the point that
these boxen are going to only be in use by those who are using their
old software and not upgrading.

Also, based on the emotional posts to this list alone, I would guess
that when the Intel boxen are released there will be a temporary
spike in used PPC models on eBay, so you can get top dollar for your
relatively new PPC if you want the latest and greatest... it is
really a win-win to buy now.

-Mike