Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Tue Jun 7 07:37:50 PDT 2005

At 10:18 AM -0400, 6/7/05, John Griffin wrote:

>I have always believed the same information and propaganda about the
>superiority of the PowerPC. However the following is a quote from
>Jobs yesterday:
>
>"Intel processors provide more performance per watt than PowerPC
>processors do, said Jobs. "When we look at future roadmaps, mid-2006
>and beyond, we see PowerPC gives us 15 units of performance per
>watt, but Intel's roadmap gives us 70. And so this tells us what we
>have to do," he explained"
>
>So why the sudden turn-around? Which claim is correct - the one we
>have always been led to believe or this sudden shift the other way?
>
>jg

They both are correct in that they are a comparison of apples and
oranges. The earlier is a comparison of operations processed per unit
of time. The new comparison is operations processed per unit of heat.
At some point, heat becomes a significant factor and you have to go
with a cooler chip else you'll have a really fast engine that
overheats and burns itself up.
--

Robert Ameeti

There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. Everybody's crew.

- Marshall McLuhan