[Ti] Let The Platform Wars Begin

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Tue Jun 7 14:50:12 PDT 2005

On 6/7/05 2:38 PM, "MBurke6225 at aol.com" <MBurke6225 at aol.com> wrote:

> As a follow up:   Gary Krakow at MSNBC wrote an article:   Apple Switch great
> for PC   Users.   Karakow is touting the fact that now Mac will be available
> for use by PC users as if it will be open architecture.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8130876/
>
> Uh no...sorry Gare.

Krakow should step away from the pipe.

> While Apple's chip switch may be good news for Mac users, it's even better
> for PC users who should now finally get a chance to run Apple¹s terrific
> operating system, now even better with version 10.4.1.

How does that follow? How will PC users be able to run OS X 10.4.1?

He's intimating it will run on a PC you can buy at CompUSA today.

> What I¹m surprised about is why it hasn¹t been done sooner. Since OS X is
> based on UNIX ‹and many other Unix-based operating systems work on Intel PCs
> (Linux, for instance), you would think OS X would be a snap to port to PCs.

Really? Does he think it's that easy?

> But, I¹ve always wondered whether there was some unspoken agreement about
> Apple not marketing OS X to work on PCs in return for something from
> Microsoft.

What? That doesn't even make any sense.

>  Maybe it was in return for the loan when Steve Jobs came back to
> Apple.

Moron. It wasn't a "loan". It was an investment in Apple stock that paid of
handsomely for MS.

> Maybe it has something to do with Microsoft continuing to update
> Office for Macs.

Maybe the fact that MS makes a metric buttload of money off Office for Macs
has more to do with it?

> (And yes, MSNBC is a Microsoft ­ NBC joint venture. But I have no inside
> information; I'm just speculating.)

He has no information period.

> Apple has announced what they call a ³Developer Transition Kit,² which
> includes a preview edition of OS X 10.4.1 for Intel processors and a 3.6 GHz
> Pentium 4 PC and development tools.  This is for registered developers only
> so they can begin to prepare applications which will run on both PowerPC and
> Intel-based Macs.

No, it's not. I'm a "registered developer" (you can be one too - it's free
to sign up) and I can't "rent" one of those machines.

> On the other hand, analysts might be correct when they say another major
> transition may be one too many for Apple.

And we all know how correct analysts are when it comes to Apple.

> First there was the transition
> from 68K to PowerPC processors. Then OS 9 to OS X.  Each time, it has been
> pointed out, Apple has lost market share.

Perfect example. Show us the facts, Krakow.

> Whatever happens, future use of Intel chips could mean that Apple¹s hardware
> prices could be lowered ‹ and that¹s a good thing for everyone.

There's no indication of that whatsoever.

> Expect more battles ahead.

I'd settle for better writing.

--
Shawn King