[Ti] Re: Titanium Digest, Vol 10, Issue 19

Jay Snoke snokejs at npt.nuwc.navy.mil
Wed Jun 8 08:31:40 PDT 2005

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:51:47 -0400
> From: John Griffin <jwegriffin at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] like hell freezing over ?
> To: kalirhe at umdnj.edu, "A place to discuss Apple's Titanium
> 	computers."	<titanium at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> Even plain ol’ end users will notice the downgrade of applications to
> the inferior platform. If you read the preamble to the new
> Development Kit, it is  plain as day that since PowerPC is being
> abandoned, so is the vision of 64-bit processing! Apple refers to
> IA-32 in the transition process but no mention of 64-bit
> architecture. Also, developers who have relied on such routines that
> are provided to AltiVec, etc. will have to dumb down their
> applications to run on Intel.
>
> I stand firmly by my statement that developers are being called on to
> downgrade their applications so they will work on an inferior platform!
>
> jg

When Apple moved from the old 65000 CPU series, everyone complained
about it for a bit, but the chipsets we were provided with in newer
Macs actually ended up being pretty darned good.  When Apple moved from
the old version of the OS to OS X, everyone screamed and ranted and
raved about it (and I know of people who will never move off OS 9.2.2),
but in the end, it all ended up being pretty darned good.
//sarcasm_on
Now this next major development - *GASP* Intel chipsets in a Mac???
***SHUDDER***  It just CAN'T be!!!
//sarcasm_off

It appears to me that one of the biggest single factors in Apple's
decision to change CPUs was availability in sufficient quantity to meet
the needs of manufacturing (after reading all the data here and other
places).  I, for one, will take the same attitude I've always taken -
wait and see - since the decision to move was made by people who
analyze this stuff for a living.  If Apple intends on continuing with
the 64-bit stand, and Intel is in the mix, I'm reasonably certain
there's some stuff going on in the background that we're not privy to.
Apple is most likely NOT going to dump the OS that we've come to love
(although they have surprised us in the past ;o).  Apple is going to
make sure that we have the same user experience we expect from their
products.  Apple is going to make sure they can get the necessary
pieceparts (read: CPUs or chipsets or what have you...) to continue to
push the envelope on leading-edge technologies and bring us new
innovations.  We are not going to suffer en masse and run to the deadly
M$/Windoze camp (but keep in mind, some will always find something to
complain about, regardless of what they get).

Can we now get back to the intended purpose of this thread?  Sheesh,
yer all getting to sound like a buncha whinin' old biddies!