[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

William Scammell williamscammell at idesignofboston.com
Wed Jun 8 14:33:35 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 3:32 PM, <illovox at comcast.net> wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> He's not ranting and I for one find Chris' comments informative.  My
> conclusion I can draw on my own.  What do his comments mean for
> this list?
> They educate us as the pst, present and future of our books and the
> company
> that makes them, just as your comments do.  So please, chill the
> insults and
> let all speak.  And Chris, let's hope Intel has a bullit up their
> sleeve?
>
> Run Vzel

Yes, an Intel-based 64-bit chip would be nice. That might help
assuage people's concern regarding a "move back" to 32-bit chips, the
AltiVec problems, ad nauseum. (Whether or not folks perceive it as a
"move back" is up to them. I *do* see it as a step back, but believe
there's a light at the end of the MacIntel tunnel.)

I think that's my main peeve about this whole thing. We've been
promised one thing (64-bit chips by ~any~ company -- I don't care
who) and are being told that Intel (the old enemy) (that's a joke
folks, lighten up) is suddenly our silicon saviour. It's a tough pill
to swallow after years of The Steve telling us how much better RISC
is over CISC, etc.

I suspect this has been in the back of Steve's mind for years, and
now that OS X has a large enough population/adoption rate (I just
bought a 1.5 MHz Alum last week to compete with my trusty Ti500 that
still runs 9.2.2) he feels it's safe now to take the next step.

Nevertheless, I feel for Chris' frustration, and dare I say, a slight
feeling of betrayal. Let Chris rant, after all, we all know how to
delete unwanted emails, right?  :")

William Scammell
Creative Director

williamscammell @