[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

Bill Reburn billreburn at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 9 05:07:10 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 1:46 AM, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> At 7:57 PM -0400 2005.06.08, Henry Kalir wrote:
>

>> I think the WOZ has said it best: In Intel Apple has found a
>> WILLING partner! The Mac is NOT a 970 CPU. I think Apple's made a
>> very wise move! So, hop on board, or get off...but my 2 cent's
>> worth is that GREAT times lie ahead!
>>

> I did leave one thing out.
>
> Switching to Intel doesn't reconcile well with what "Think
> different" means to most of us.
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve  (ok a new size tv)

Excellent thread guys, although a little heated and misdirected
sometimes...

I just wanted to chime in with an opinion from the creative
industry.. this is not a sweeping opinion by any means, but frankly..
what is under the hood has ALWAYS taken back seat to what the machine
can do 'on the street', If you follow my analogy. Frankly - I don't
give a damn what is under the hood.. the geek side of me lusts to
know more, because I have been an Apple Computer user since my first
Apple II and IIc, back in 83... so the story and suspense of it all
is quite dramatic and interesting to me.

The Mac has been a staple in our industry and many credit much of the
"success" or progression of the digital design era of the past 2
decades with the understanding that Apple really helped a lot of it
happen (in partnerships with companies like Adobe and whatnot)

The creative ind. has always been watching the TCO closely as the
computer is the next most important tool after our brain. The speed
at which we can get things done is getting faster and the money we
make from clients is greater due to more work being done. All I see
from this deal is faster computers.. which to me indirectly
translates to more work being done, more money being made. Good for
everyone.

I have never connected Apple's slogan "Think Different" with their
use of MOT/IBM processors. Well, maybe I have in the sense of MS
versus Apple... Sure, you could tie the two together along with what
Apple supplies in terms of it's OS and functionality.. it IS the
whole package.. but in this day and age of loyalties, contracts,
deals and the all out war in the computer industry - I would put up
for discussion that Apple is truly "Thinking Different", now -
possibly more than ever. They finally grew the balls to make a very
gutsy move away from a philosophy that nearly brought them down
completely, several times over!

Aren't we allllll tired of the fact that Apple has on average been
unfairly trounced by the PC community forever (I'm stretching there
just to make my point obvious, I know recently things have been
better), but I for one am extremely excited about the fact that Apple
(to me) is moving out (or at least trying to) from behind the niche
market that they have been pigeonholed into FOREVER due to their
processors.

I raise my cup to the "Switchers" (Apple following their own words)
and look forward to the future with more enthusiasm than ever.

Thanks for your time,
Bill Reburn, MGDC.