[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 09:36:12 PDT 2005

I am dealing with this turn of events by assuming that IBM was the
problem, which is just speculation, but to me makes the most sense.
It wasn't that IBM couldn't make the next generation of chips for
Apple, they just decided gaming consoles was the best use of their
resources. They told Apple they wouldn't be advancing the state of
the art in PPC for computers.  Apple decided they couldn't re-write/
port OS X to the chips the gaming consoles use.

Does it suck that PPC/64-bit/G5 is fading away? Of Course.  Is there
developer worry?  Sure.

Did Apple have any other viable choice?  I don't think so.

Will Apple survive?  Most definitely.

Will I purchase another Mac?  Yup.  Windoze is gross.  Ewww.

I ask you this: What would WWDC been like if Steve came out and said
that G5 development had stalled, and while Macs are still twice as
fast as PC's, we don't have a plan to solve the problem.  Knowing
they had OS X ported to x86, what would you suggest Apple to do?  I
think there are much worse scenarios than Macintel that could have
arisen.

Peter

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million Mac
zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced."

-- One Slashdot reader comments on Apple's switch to Intel.

Peter Krug
pkrug at mac.com