[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Jun 9 11:25:10 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Neil Cadsawan wrote:

> Jobs said what the problem was in his keynote.  It's heat.  I'd love a
> dual core g5 powerbook too.  But I'd also like it not to burn my
> clothes, or be 2 inches thick.

Freescale has a very nice dual-core PowerPC processor that's pin for
pin compatible with the 74xx series:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=DRPPCDUALCORE

The MPC8641D is for embedded applications, but some minor tweaks would
it make an excellent desktop cpu with better power dissipation
characteristics than the (current) Intel Pentium M processors.

I don't know how this idea started that the G5 was ever going into a
PowerBook, or why it has to.  I stated long ago that the G4 and its
incarnations was, and still is, a better mobile processor.
--
Chris