[Ti] A real world comparison

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Thu Jun 9 11:30:08 PDT 2005

On 6/9/05 1:17 PM, "Chris Olson" <chris.olson at astcomm.net> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Shawn King wrote:
>
>> Your tests are irrelevant.
>
> So are most benchmarks, but the marketing world has this uncanny
> ability to twist them into marketing tools using the "mine is bigger,
> harder, and longer than yours" method.

Agreed. And yet, you posted your own benchmark numbers....

>  You can easily heat a small room in your
> house with the P-IV processor that Apple is shipping in the dev boxes,
> for instance.

Yup. Those machines are not optimized for those kinds of things. They are
basic boxes to be used for only one purpose. They are not meant to reflect
what the shipping machines will be like.

> The general public knows nothing about cpu architectures, but they see
> numbers.  "Oh, a 1.5 GHz Celeron vs 1.2 GHz P-III.  "Celeron" sounds
> cooler and has bigger numbers associated with it, therefore the masses
> will think it's the better deal.

Yup.

> Meanwhile the Mac gets laughed at because it has smaller numbers.
> Those of us who use one know better.

And those of us who know better simply ignore the laughing.

> This is exactly what happened with the G5 getting to 3.0 GHz.  It's all
> marketing.  Had nothing whatsoever to do with practicality.

Dang...you were doing so good having me agree with you up to that point. :)
--
Shawn King
Host/Executive Producer