[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

Paul H. Yoshimune paul at yoshimune.com
Thu Jun 9 15:24:13 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:11:20PM -0400, kalirhe at umdnj.edu wrote:
> Quoting "Paul H. Yoshimune" <paul at yoshimune.com>:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:28:36PM -0400, kalirhe at umdnj.edu wrote:
> > > And now the promise of
> > > increased market share, with a greater # of developers writing/porting
> > all
> > > those applications that so many LOYAL people like myself could NOT get
> > on
> > > the Mac because developers OTHER than you and Chris would NOT write
> > them
> > > for us, is finally a realistic possibility!!
> > >
> > > I don't know what kind of applications you and Chris are writing, but I
> > DO
> > > know that in the 2 fields in which I'm working NOT A SINGLE APPLICATION
> > HAS
> > > BEEN AVAILABLE FOR THE MAC! Do you fathom that, John and Chris?? Know
> > what
> > > it's like to go to a convention and be laughed at for still using a
> > Mac? Do
> > > you care at all about what OTHER equally loyal Mac users had to go
> > through,
> > > or is it all about you, you and YOU???
> >
> > ...and you think because Apple is switching to Intel processors that
> > suddenly
> > all those applications will work under MacOS X?  Or that there will be a
> > flood of Windows developers porting their Windows apps to MacOS?
>
> No, not immediately. and I'm sure Apple has some strategy  other than simply
> switching the CPU.
>
> I believe that we're going to see some easier portablity of applications
> etc, and a gradual increase in market share due to price drops, etc.

Well, I'll be the first to hope you're right!  I just don't see were the
easier porting is going to come into play (it's an API problem, not a chip
problem), nor do I see the price drops.  I don't know that the raw prices of
the chips are any cheaper, and hopefully Apple will continue providing a nice,
non-whitebox computer.  Imagine a current G5 with dual Pentiums in it...the
differential in pricing of the chips isn't likely to equate to anything even
remotely substantial.  If Apple moves to flimsy cases, fans with 3-month
lifespans (not to mention LOUD), cheap bolt-in HD brackets, impossible-to-
manipulate internals, etc., then I can see price drops, but hopefully that'll
never happen.  I absolutely love Apple's hardware design - it's well thought
out, robust, well-finished, practical, and pretty.  I guess I like Sun
workstations/servers for the same reasons... :-)

But in the end, again, I hope you're right and I'm waaaaay off base.  :-)
--
Paul H. Yoshimune
paul at yoshimune.com
http://www.yoshimune.com/